Home » Self Reflection

Self Reflection

Family Medicine was my fourth rotation, located at Amazing Medical Services. The site is fast paced but I was working with the same doctor per shift, so it was easy to see my personal growth by the end of the rotation. The preceptor is a very sincere primary care doctor who is deeply invested in her patients’ care.

I was able to perform multiple EKGs, venipuncture, and urea breath tests. Additionally, I worked with a gynecology NP (who is a professor for York’s nursing program) who taught me so much about the Gynecology specialty in one shift. She allowed me to do multiple speculum exams, pap smears, obtain vaginal cultures, and taught me the appropriate bedside manner for this specialty. This shift really peaked my interest in outpatient gynecology. 

Certain aspects of this rotation were difficult, as there was a learning curve with navigating the EMR system. After about a week of using the system, I felt that this rotation would go smoothly. I was able to strengthen my skills at interpreting labs in the context of a whole patient. In primary care, it is different from the ER or urgent care because each aspect of the patient must be addressed. Patients would sometimes come in with 3-4 different complaints, warranting over three referrals. My preceptor stressed the importance of good follow up and a thorough referral system for this vulnerable population. When giving out a referral, she made sure each patient knew which doctor they were going to and left with an appointment date with that doctor. 

Overall, I enjoyed this outpatient rotation experience and it made me understand the value of primary care. I hope to use the skills I learned here on my next rotation – Psychiatry at QHC.