Home » Site Evaluation

Site Evaluation

For my site evaluation, I presented cases on pneumonia secondary to RSV, syncope, and DKA. It was very unique to present a case on DKA on a 2 month old patient. However, it forced me to consider the possibility of that, given that the presentation and the labs were consistent with the diagnosis. Both of my site evaluations were group evaluations in person. The three of us strengthened our skills in pharmacology, as we were tested on each other’s drug cards. We talked about unique indications for certain antibiotics in the pediatric population. Additionally, we discussed the side effect profile of certain drugs which can be reasons why a clinician might not prescribe certain drugs for the pediatric population. I learned to make sure each part of my H&P write up is coherent and age appropriate. Particularly for the ROS, it may not be as relevant to ask a 12 year old about a history of DVTs or varicosities in the case of syncope. Additionally, the ROS for a 2 month old might just consist of things we can physically see on the patient’s body, or things that the mother/caretaker can report. There is not a clear indicator of pain because infants are unable to communicate, so many things that are normally asked in the ROS may not need to be asked. Overall, the site evaluations strengthened my skills in thinking of differentials for the pediatric population.